Tuesday, September 17, 2013

30 Some Years and Counting...

What is the oldest piece of furniture or home decor item in your home? Think back to when you moved into your first home or left for college. For some, it might have been 2 years ago, others..... a while ago....decades even.

As I sit here trying to think what it is I have, I realize that I am a furniture rotator.  I just don't like to keep the same thing around too long.  However, I do have a very nice curio cabinet that I bartered for when my husband and I bought our first house.  He wanted a pool table, I wanted a curio cabinet! Probably my first bartering experience:)

My neighbor asked us to paint her mom's queen sized headboard.  It has a lot of history!  She told me that her parents bought it together 30 some years ago at Tilles Furniture in Munster, Indiana.  Sadly, Tilles just announced they are going out of business after 40 years.

I received the picture below and thought is was a little dated, but would it look great painted and distressed. I immediately thought... Old White from Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®.



When I saw the picture, I thought it was wood.  Boy, was I wrong.  That baby is heavy and made of steel! Super heavy.  I couldn't even push it by myself to the other side of the garage to my workshop. So, she got painted exactly where my husband put her.  

I started with the first coat on a very hot humid day. When I came back to look at it a day later, the paint sort of crackled. Ooops.... maybe I shouldn't have painted it out in the heat so I sanded it down and started over.  Came back the next day.....crackle.  The more I examined it, the more I realized it was actually the texture in the headboard and the more I looked at it, the more I loved it.  The more I sanded to antique it, the better it got!





My apologies that I didn't stage for a better looking picture. As you know, we will have a small workshop at the new shop. For now, it's the garage for me and sometimes the living room.
However, I don't think it negates the fact that the headboard turned out fantastic...(If I do say so myself:))

No comments:

Post a Comment